Happy Easter! The biggest gardening weekend of the year is almost upon us, with an extra two whole days to unwrap the garden from its winter slumbers and spruce it up ready for the year ahead.
Here are our top five ideas for enjoying your garden this Bank Holiday weekend – and long afterwards, too.
- Sow a mini veg garden: you'll find ready-made raised bed kits from your favourite garden centre which slot together in minutes and fit onto even the tiniest patio. Sow with salad leaves, beetroot, peas and chard.
- Make a sweetpea tower: choose a pretty woven obelisk and plant pots of ready-started sweetpea seedlings around the base for pretty, scented cut flowers for the house.
- Plant an annual wildflower meadow: pick your favourite seed mix, clear a patch of the garden and broadcast-sow the seed freely to fill your garden with colour, bees and butterflies all year.
- Fill containers with summer-flowering bulbs: pack your pots with dahlias, cannas and gladioli, all in the garden centre now, for dazzling colour and huge, showy blooms.
- Create a wildlife pond: preformed liners make building a pond a weekend job. Line the hole with sand first, then fit the liner, fill with saved rainwater and plant with irises, waterlilies and marsh marigolds.